Welcome to the LexisNexis Online Research certification website
The aim of this scheme is to provide you with a certificate that proves to employers that you are serious about undertaking a career in the law. The certificate will demonstrate to possible employers that you have reached a level of competence in our online research services that will ensure that you are an effective researcher and would be an asset to their firm.
Please read the following information before accessing the actual test via the link at the bottom of the page
- Once you have clicked on the link you will be asked to fill out a registration form providing us with various personal details. These details MUST be accurate to ensure that we can email you confirmation that you have passed or failed the test and email you a copy of the certificate filled out with your name and institution.
- Data Protection Act notice - By proceeding, you understand and accept that all personal data submitted by you (which may include sensitive personal data as defined by the Act) will be stored and processed for the purposes of providing this service in the United States. If you do not wish this to happen, you should not proceed to use the service.
- This scheme has been designed to test your online legal research abilities on LexisLibrary and the content that your university may subscribe to. There are two tests that you can take. For beginners you may wish to take the basic test, more experienced users of the service may wish to take the advanced test.
- In order to take the test on the LexisLibrary online service, you should ensure that your university subscribes to the All England Reports, Legislation database and Halsbury's Laws of England as some of the questions asked will relate to these works. If you are taking the test on Scottish law, you should ensure that your university subscribes to Scottish case law, legislation and the Laws of Scotland - Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia.
- You will be asked to answer 15 questions. You will be asked questions that will test both your knowledge of certain content sets, including UK and EU cases and legislation, and specific product functionality such as using connectors and truncators and searching within results. The certificate will also test your ability to carry out cost effective research. You will have a maximum of one hour to complete the test and must get 13 of the 15 questions correct to pass.
- If you pass the test, you will be sent immediate notification through the test environment and via email. The email that you receive will also have a copy of your certificate attached to it as a .pdf document. Please note that this is the ONLY copy of the certificate you will receive so please save in a safe place and/or print it off as soon as possible.
You are now ready to take the test. Log in below and good luck!